Jesus is my Lord and Savior ... not my religion.

• Comment link is at the end of each post •

Memories of May baskets

April 25, 2025

Long, long ago, in a land far away .......

Well, maybe not that long ago and far away. Haha.

But this memory is a while back in my life, for sure.

May baskets.

Do you remember them?

My mama would have the baskets ready on May 1 - which was called either May Day or May Basket Day - when my brother and I got home from school, or we did them ourselves with her help if the day fell on a weekend. She always made two baskets; one for the neighbors on the west side of us and one for the neighbors on the east. The baskets were made using colored construction paper rolled and glued into a cone, then wrapped with a paper doily glued on over that. Handles were made with the colored construction paper, long enough to hang over a door knob.

She gave us our small scissors to get some cuttings from the white spirea bushes that grew between ours and one of the neighbor's homes. The bushes were on our home's property line, but my parents and the parents of the kids next door shared the care of them. Just being  good neighbors.

White spirea cantoniensis; "May Bush"; "Bridal Wreath Spirea."

These beautiful, fragrant bushes with white flowers bloom in mid- to late-April, just in time to make May baskets. They're often called "May Bush" or "Bridal Wreath Spirea."

White spirea cantoniensis; "May Bush"; "Bridal Wreath Spirea."

We could only cut a few, mama said. She didn't want the bushes whacked to pieces because everyone enjoyed those flowers. The bushes are usually done flowering within a couple or so weeks.

In the bottom of the cone of the baskets we added a some Hershey's Kisses and various hard candies (like the butterscotch and cinnamon rounds), then the flower cuttings. We wrote our own white paper tags of May Day poems (copied from mama's pre-writing) and glued those to the baskets.

Then we were off to each house.

First, my brother and I ran over to the door of the neighbors to the west. 🏃🏼‍♀️‍➡️  🏃🏼‍♂️‍➡️ One of us would hang the basket on the door handle, ring their door bell, and quickly run back to our house where mama was waiting at the door. She, my brother, and I would peek out the door watching to see who would get the basket. We all giggled. It was usually Arlen (the boy between my brother's and my age), or Janice (the girl three years older than me), or their mom.

As soon as it was "safe," we ran across the lawns to the older neighbor's home to the east.  🏃🏼‍♀️‍➡️  🏃🏼‍♂️‍➡️ My brother and I entered their screened-in front porch and very quietly hung the other May basket on their door knob. We rang their doorbell and got out of their porch area as quick as we could without slamming the screendoor, running back to our house. We couldn't see them find the May basket since a room of their home was built where we couldn't see their door. I'm pretty sure mama checked with the lady the next day to confirm they'd found their basket.

Since Spring has sprung here, our area is absolutely full of these white spirea bushes in bloom. It smells heavenly with the blend of those and hyacinth. Mmmm, so wonderful. Oh, how I wish those lasted longer.

I think the spirea and the fragrances of those sweet little flowers it holds are what puts me in the mood for going to the garden center and looking for the plants (veggies, flowers) to grow in the garden at my son's.

I think a trip to the garden center is in my future this weekend.

And I might just make a couple May baskets for old time's sake. There are a couple ladies here in our building who could use some cheering up.

That would be fun.

What do you think?

Y'all have an awesome and blessed day!

Always,

Diana 🌻

P. S. You can find a few ideas for May baskets here: Fun and Easy May Day Baskets to Make

20 comments:

  1. from your story i understand that those are the spirea flowers/bush i meant on my wednesday blog about spring.
    and yes a visit to a garden center is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is, but I didn't want to say anything to embarrass you. My mama told me what it was when I was a youngster, then when I worked in the garden center as an adult and studied horticulture, I gained more knowledge about it. I'm antsy to visit the garden center soon, for sure! Have a very blessed and wonderful day, Adriaantje! 💐

      Delete
  2. Diana, I love this! I've heard of May baskets but never knew anyone who did it. Just think of the joy you brought those people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that we made them in school also, to give to the students in the SMH (severely mentally handicapped) class. It was always such fun to see their eyes light up with joy even if they couldn't express it outwardly. Little things like that brought me so much pleasure as a child and taught me compassion and love for those children. Hugs and blessings, Mari!

      Delete
  3. I love your memory! What fun:) I have never heard of a May basketf or leaving such baskets for friends and neighbors. I think the folks in your building would certainly be blessed with a May basket. And I love those Spirea bushes for beautiful. I wonder if I could add one to my yard...will it grow in my area? Need to check that out. Thanks for sharing your memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending some website links to your email for you. Spirea can thrive even in the worst conditions. We have 110°+ days in summer and many times -30° during winter here in Kansas, so it's perfect for your area. We're in a ten-year drought cycle right now and these plants are indeed still flourishing! Their care is so easy - only a little attention is needed! Have a beautiful day, Jennifer!

      Delete
  4. Oh I used to love the May Day activities we had as a child. In San Francisco schools we had maypole dances that I looked forward to. I’m not fond of the “May Day” activities they have today. Gone are those special times of May baskets and Maypole dances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you said that, now I remember a couple Maypole dances in elementary school! Such a fun time we all had, and even the teachers would join in and laugh with us. I agree about the activities that are done today, simply not the same nor good. We have our memories, though ... we can pass those on down our family lines when possible! Blessings to you, Debby! Enjoy your "time off" from blogging!

      Delete
  5. Hi, I enjoyed your memories. I still give out May Day baskets. :-) It usually is a bouquet of daffodils to my friends. I surprise them with a bouquet... but I cannot run very fast. So I get caught. Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't run as quickly as I used to, either. That made me laugh to think of the stumbling I would do if I did try that nowadays. Haha! The daffodils (and hyacinth) in our area about gone now, they bloom so early in April, so we use other types of flowering plants. I remember mama added one of her purple iris to each basket one year. I wanted to keep them because they smelled so good. Hugs and blessings to you, Carla!

      Delete
  6. What a good idea for the neighbours! We go to the garden centres nearly every weekend. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for this weekend to get what I want for the garden. I do love to spend time looking at what they have! Happy Spring to you, Catherine!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea but have never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've run across different things on others' blogs that commenters said they never heard of before. I guess it all depended on where you might have lived. Be blessed, Mary!

      Delete
  8. I think we made May baskets in elementary school with paper flowers. Now I cut fresh roses from my garden but I just put them in mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I still had my own garden, I would cut all sort of flowers in mason jars for others. Now I don't have a flower garden... and I'm out of all those mason jars. Ha! Be blessed, Susan!

      Delete
  9. Hello Diana, what a lovely idea. By the way, I love your blog background and the photo of you when you were a little girl is absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Linda! I appreciate your kind words. The background is from a photo I took out on the Kansas prairie near my cousin's farm. I love the yellows and greens together. Have a wonderful day, Linda! Be blessed!

      Delete

      Delete
  10. I remember doing something similar when I was in kindergarten. My flowers may have been made out of paper, tucked into a paper cone basket. Wow. That was some 70 years ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only a few years behind you, Barbara. Hehe. We did do some in school, but my mama helping my brother and I are the best memories! Have a lovely and blessed day, Barbara!

      Delete