April 23, 2025
Today is the Wednesday Hodgepodge with some interesting questions. You can join in by visiting Joyce's blog.

1. The Hodgepodge lands on National Picnic Day...will you celebrate? Do you enjoy picnics? Dining out of doors picnic or otherwise? What are three or four things I'd find in your picnic basket?
The last time I was on an actual picnic of sorts was in the Autumn of 1972 as a sophomore in high school for a German Club get-together at the park. I met my high school boyfriend there. He'd brought his guitar along and some sheet music, so was learning to play "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. I offered to hold the sheet music to make it easier for him. As he finished his second run-through of it, some of the others got a tag footfall game together and I told him I was going to go play ... I was still very much a tom-boy even though I was in high school. I think we began "going steady" about two months later. After a few months together, he told me he'd been disappointed when I took off to play football during that picnic. Awww. (No, I did not marry this guy. I broke up with him near the end of my senior year.)
Other than that, the only picnics I've ever been on were the few I can remember with my family before my mama died in 1971. Mama always made fried chicken, potato salad, iced tea or lemonade, and apple pie.
2. A time recently where you felt 'antsy'?
Umm ... always? Haha! I can actually be the most patient person in the world (in certain circumstances), but I'm very much an antsy person. Yes. Often. Quite a lot. Always. 🤣
3. As the saying goes...'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' Do you like lemonade? When did you recently need to make lemonade out of lemons, figuratively speaking?
I like lemonade, but never make it. I usually buy one lemonade one time each year while at the state fair.
In my life, I'm constantly "making lemonade." There is always something. Always.
4. Recently five 'celebrities' made a brief (ll minute) foray into space aboard Jeff Bezos Blue Origin rocket. Did you hear about this? Your thoughts? If money were no object is this something you'd like to do someday?
Yes, I read a few sentences about this. I do not care. And no, I wouldn't do this.
5. Favorite thing about the 'space' you're sitting in right now?
I'm alone, sitting on my couch in my tiny livingroom in my tiny apartment. And it's totally quiet. That's the way I like it. My brain can only handle so much in the way of noise and people.
Did I mention I'm alone and it's quiet? Yes, those are the words.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
How about a random favorite photo with background?
My dear, sweet stepmom, Sharon, was such a funny gal. One time, she and I had gone to the church thrift store to just look around. I was going through some women's blouses when from behind me I heard her ask, "How do you like my new hair-do?" I turned around and burst out laughing when I saw this....
Thank you all for reading! Have a very blessed day!
Always,
Diana 🌻
I love the picture of your step mom. I can tell I would have loved her!
ReplyDeleteI don't make lemonade either, but I did make a sour cream lemon pie for Easter!
No going in space for me either!
Mmm, sour cream lemon pie sounds so delicious! My stepmom must have had a million friends besides family.. everyone loved to be around her!
DeleteWhat lovely memories of your stepmum, she sounds like she was a lovely fun lady.
ReplyDeleteLife has a habit with providing us with lots of lemons, I think we are all expert lemonade makers by now.
She really was an exceptional woman and one of the most important in my life. Gosh, yes, life throws those lemons at us sometimes. I try to duck. Ha! Thank you for visiting, Angela! Have a very blessed day!
DeleteYour mama did make some great picnic food.
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of a quiet home. My family are being so loud at the moment so 5 minutes peace would be nice.
Those are lovely memories of your stepmom.
I really miss my mama's cooking. She also made the best Christmas cookies. // Ahh, silence. It can truly be golden, huh. Sometimes I do miss the days when my boys were little and noisy. They grew up way too fast. I've always enjoyed my grandkids being with us for weekends back when they were little.. but it was also good when their parents picked them up on Sundays. Haha! // Have a lovely and blessed day, Kim!
DeleteI do like going on picnics but only in the cooler temperatures so we don't have to deal with too many bugs. lol
ReplyDeleteYes, bugs can sure be a bother. Hubby likes to go fishing, and I often just sit with him to enjoy the outdoors. Bug spray is a must around here on the hottest days. Those little buggers seem to know when you're sweaty and they stick to you. Bleah. LOL!
DeleteMy house has not been quiet with the extra people here, but it's temporary and I suspect I'll miss some of the chaos. Not entirely, but it will probably be too quiet for a while. You have nice memories of your stepmom. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteSome controlled chaos is fun for me, like our yearly family Christmas craft get-together at my apartment. But it makes for a long day and there are always at least a few pieces of glitter on the floor that the vacuum seems to miss for a whole year. Ha! Hugs and blessings, Joyce!
DeleteFried chicken and apple pie sounds like a delightful picnic lunch!! I also love it when my space is quiet. It is not exactly quiet just now but not too bad:)
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking about that fried chicken and apple pie everytime you all comment. LOL! I may have to make some soon! Have a lovely and blessed day, Jennifer! I'm so happy to meet you!
Delete